International Students can get PGWP after completing studies online

International Students can get PGWP after completing studies online

Canada’s commitment to immigration is well known with a recent example of the express entry draw held on February 13th. Well, there is more good news this time it’s for the international students who seek Canada to further their career. Canada is reassuring its international student community that it is fully committed to bringing in the best to its country by being flexible about the eligibility requirements for Post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

International students after completion of their post-secondary program through online studies will be eligible to apply for a work permit after graduation.”

Much before the pandemic, this wouldn’t have been possible but now Canada is making it easy for international students to get the ‘Post-graduation work permit’ (PGWP) after graduation.

In a media release Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino said, “This new policy means that students hoping to work in Canada after graduation won’t miss out on opportunities while ensuring that our economy and society continue to benefit from all that international students bring.” He also further stated “Our message to international students and graduates is simple: we don’t just want you to study here, we want you to stay here.”

Canada also announced that PGWPs can be renewed for up to 18 months. Generally, PGWPs cannot be renewed or extended and it is for a said duration.

So who are all eligible for this PGWP? Well, this new measure applies to all international students who have enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program where the semester begins between spring 2020 and fall 2021. Candidates whose permits are expiring until July 31, 2021 can apply for the 18-month extension. Students need to meet all the other required criteria for PGWP along with a study permit.

Why is Canada taking such great measures?

As of 2019, about 572,000 international students coming into Canada generated $21 billion in revenue to the Canadian economy, generating 170,000 jobs in terms of spending on tuition. Along with that more than 58,000 graduates became Permanent Residents adding more in terms of GDP.

Can International Students travel during this time?

In order to get a study permit the student needs to get an acceptance letter from a ‘Designated Learning Institution (DLI).’ A designated learning institution is a school approved by the provincial government to accept international students. Since the travel restrictions have made it difficult to travel, international students can travel to Canada by getting the required permission from a DLI that has an approved COVID-19 readiness plan.

Permanent residence through PGWP

International students with a valid PGWP who are studying in a Designated Learning Institution can work in Canada for up to three years. The work experience gathered through PGWP is a gateway for Permanent Residence. A student can get permanent residence through Provincial Nomine Program, Express Entry, and several other immigration pathways.

International Students can get PGWP after completing studies online

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *