COVID-19 test and Quarantine requirements for travellers entering Canada
Covid-19 has caused a never before seen panic all around the globe especially among travellers. Canada has mandated that the travellers aged five and above entering the country should take a COVID-19 test. The rules have come into effect as of February 22.
Now that the vaccine drive has been started in many countries, vaccinated travellers with valid proof are still not exempted from the test as of now.
Vaccinated or not, travellers still need to show test results taken within 72 hours at the time of entry or at the time of departure.
- Some international travellers who may test positive after recovery from COVID-19 are permitted to enter Canada, if they have taken the test between 14 and 90 days prior to entering Canada. This exemption has been given since people who have recovered from the virus can test positive after recovery are no longer infectious, according to the government webpage.
- Molecular tests are only accepted: as the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test and the reverse transcription real-time PCR (RT-PCR).
- International air travellers are mandated to take the test upon arrival
- Waiting time up to three days in a government-approved hotel till the test results arrive.
- A fee of $2000 must be paid upon booking hotel room.
- Quarantine is mandatory even for the ones who test negative upon arrival. They will be allowed to go home but must complete the remaining quarantine of 14 days.
- They have to remain indoors during the quarantine and have to make arrangements for food and medicines and other services
- Rules are to be followed strictly, rule breakers may face up to six months of prison time or $750,000 CAD in fines
- Travellers who test positive upon arrival will be sent to a government facility for the 14 day quarantine period.
- Travellers must carry an approved COVID-19 test. Travellers who have recovered but still test positive and have taken the test 14 to 90 days prior to entering Canada are allowed
- Travellers must book a room at a hotel approved by the government in advance for their three-day quarantine (waiting time of test results)
- Travellers must plan in advance regarding the 14-day quarantine period after leaving the hotel and have made arrangements for accommodation, food, medicines and essentials
- Travellers are required to ‘install the ArriveCAN’ mobile application before travelling to Canada. They will have to upload personal information and flight details. Also during the quarantine period, a daily self-assessment needs to be completed on the app.