The British Council have developed a new online course to help international students prepare to study at a university in the UK. The Study UK: Prepare to Study and Live in the UK massive open online course (MOOC) will familiarise students with the ways of teaching and learning in the UK, as well as student life.
This course would be of immense benefit to international students who have been accepted to study at a UK university.
The course is entirely free and registration is now open. Duration of the course is 4 weeks with expected weekly study of 3 hours. Upon completion of the course, eligible students will be awarded a PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove their success.
Fiona Samson, GREAT Britain Campaign Director at the British Council says;
“This is for all international students who are about to embark on a life-changing experience and will allow them to join an online community of peers in the same position.
With 437,000 international students coming to the UK to study, we recognise that preparing for success is beneficial not only for the students themselves, but also for UK higher education institutions and the reputation of the UK as a study destination.”
The course will cover
- Characteristic features of higher education in the UK: active engagement, critical thinking, evidence-based argument, independent study, academic integrity
- Study modes: lectures, seminars, tutorials, student presentations, group assignments, their roles and functions
- The language skills you need to achieve success (academic writing, reading, listening and note-taking, speaking)
- Understanding assessment in higher education
- Support services available to students; library, English language support, counselling etc.
- Practical issues round living as a student in the UK: accommodation, making friends, what to bring, things you need to do on arrival
By the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the UK academic culture, understand key terminologies and how teaching & learning is organized in the UK, identify and assess available resources to support learning and develop the required confidence as they embark on a life fulfilling journey with studying in the UK.